Monday, May 14, 2012

Why I don’t believe in Prosperity Gospel



I have heard people declare that God is good.  It is usually followed by a list of blessings. The sun is shining. My kids are healthy. I am having a good day. My job pays well. God is good!

Is God still good when that list looks different? Is God still good when the weather is bad? Is God is still good when sickness hits your family? Is God still good when things seem to be crumbling around you? I choose to say YES!

But that is not the gospel that is often preached…especially in Third World countries. We have sat under some pretty poor teaching in Kenyan churches that speaks to prosperity gospel. “If you pray more, than bad things won’t happen.” Or if bad things DO happen, that is somehow a result of sin or lack of faith.

The truth is we have been promised trouble in this world. It is guaranteed.
John 16:33 says “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!”  The Psalms are full of David lamenting his troubles to the Lord and then praising God for being his Rock in the midst of trials. Why are we surprised when it hits us? Why do we blame God when trials come?

I have been pondering this more lately as it seems trials are tumbling down upon us in rapid succession. 42 days of straight rain. A broken washing machine. A car that won’t start.  Being financially under-supported and trying to make ends meet. Water crisis at our school – filing buckets to flush toilets and do laundry. My grandfather passed away and we can’t be there for the funeral. My mother-in-law has cancer – how do we support from afar?

The list is not pretty. But GOD is GOOD. He is still good in the midst of my “suffering.” (meager as it may seem, especially compared to some who encounter suffering on a much grander scale) And yet God teaches us SO much through trials and tribulations. I am much more aware of His faithfulness and provision when I am acutely aware of my utter neediness.

A thought from my devotional last week, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young:

Do not resist or run from the difficulties in your life. These problems are not random mistakes; they are hand-tailored blessings designed for your benefit and growth. Embrace all the circumstances that I allow in your life, trusting Me to bring good out of them. View problems as opportunities to rely more fully on Me.


No comments:

Post a Comment