Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grandpa Baker

My Grandpa Baker entered Heaven's gates yesterday morning. I found myself moping around the house yesterday, feeling sad that he had died only a few months before we were to return to the States. Selfishly, I wanted him to hang on until we could see him one more time. I was also mourning the fact that all the family would gather together this week, except us. But in the middle of my sadness yesterday I had to stop and ask myself, "Why am I sad?" After all, Grandpa was trapped in an earthly body that was old and weary. Now, he is rejoicing and dancing on streets of gold with his beloved  Savior. Why am I sad? Truly, it is a day of rejoicing.

Without a doubt, Grandpa is hearing the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." For that is truly what he was. A good and faithful servant of the Lord. Grandpa and Grandma served the Lord for many years in South America. And even when they returned to the States, their ministry continued. Grandpa leaves behind a legacy of love, faithfulness and a trust in God.

One of my favorite memories of Grandpa is the year I landed my first job teaching 4th grade in a public school. I invited Grandpa to my classroom to share some stories with the kids. I did tell him ahead of time that being a public school, we were not to bring up spiritual matters, unless the students asked the question first. Well, Grandpa got up and started telling stories, and within minutes was laying out the entire gospel message. I half-cringed, half-chuckled in the back of the room. Of course I didn't want to get into trouble, but at the same time, I have to smile because that was who Grandpa was - he couldn't NOT share the good news. Everywhere we went, Grandpa was telling others about Jesus.

I know Grandpa was ready to go to Heaven and I know that he is so full of joy right now - being with the Savior he spent his whole life loving and serving. And he has left me a wonderful legacy - as someone who loves Jesus so much it just spills over to others.


3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I want to sahre with you something that someone told me at Brad's Grandpa's funeral..." I am sorry for your lose but think of heavens gain!" I will be thinking and praying for you and your family this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heritage is a gift. I rejoice with you.

    ReplyDelete