Monday, May 21, 2012

Quakes and Tornados in the Rift

Well I've been here at RVA for 11 years and I can safely say I've never seen anything like this before.  Two natural phenomenon in as many weeks.

First a couple weeks ago some very sizable cracks have opened in the Rift Valley floor.  Due in part to tectonic plate movement which opened up chasms underground.  The massive amounts of rain we've had recently had water-logged the surface layer causing the roof of these chasms to collapse.  The result was a pretty interesting looking landscape.










Second, this afternoon, a beautiful sunny afternoon, in Kijabe was the perfect vantage point from which to see a tornado work its way across the valley floor. Forming just north of Mahi Mahiu near one of the IDP camps. It slowly made its way across the valley toward the base of Mt. Longonot where it finally dissipated. I had my phone with me so I was able to snap a few pics. Not the best but good enough. And for those of you who've been here, no its not a "dust devil." They don't reach cloud to ground. And with all the rain this area's had there's very little dust right now. Well actually.... did a little research and this was what's most commonly referred to as a "landspout". It may be observed beneath cumulonimbus clouds and is the land equivalent of a waterspout. It often forms along the leading edge of rain-cooled downdraft air emanating from a thunderstorm. Man I sound smart. Thanks Google.




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the pics and the scientific lesson :) I just returned from a mission trip in Kijabe last week and we saw the same "landspout." Our Kenyan host had no idea what it was and we had to explain to him what was happening- which let us know it was really rare! Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for serving in this wonderful community. I dearly hope God has plans for me to return one day! Blessings to you and your ministry!

    ReplyDelete