Monday, May 7, 2012

The Snake Slayer




It was a dark, rainy and cold night. I was tidying up the porch and putting away shoes, boots and umbrellas into their proper places on the shoe shelf and into the umbrella pot. As I quickly worked, wanting to hurry back into the warm house, I spotted something black and slithery. It was dark, so it was hard to make it out, but it didn't take long to realize it was a snake! Jeff was gone. He had taken Megan into Nairobi for her eye check-up. Ian was in bed and just Lyndsey and I were awake. Not wanting to put my family into danger, adrenaline kicked in and I was able to grab a knife quickly and slay the snake without even being grossed out or afraid. The emotions came later....after the snake was dead. The fear, the close call, the sense that our lives had been in danger. Our gardener confirmed the next morning, that indeed it was a black mamba, one of the deadliest snakes. I am just glad I didn't get bit or attacked before it died. 


OKAY...the REAL STORY....

It WAS a dark and rainy night and I WAS tidying up, when I reached for a boot to put back on the shoe shelf and lo and behold, saw a small dark form. At first I thought it was an earthworm, but noticing it's length and movement, determined it to be a baby snake. Lyndsey ran for a knife and I did kill it, but it didn't take much. Our gardener DID determine it to be a baby black mamba. I have heard differing reports - some say the baby snakes are MORE dangerous and others say they are less dangerous. Even so, this guy didn't have a chance to grow up and scare us! Here is perspective on how big it really was..... 


2 comments:

  1. I love this Joyellen because I did the SAME thing when alone in Uganda (Scott on trip) and was quite proud of myself for protecting my kids, even if it was rather small. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. great story.

    ReplyDelete