Monday, November 21, 2011

Two Races and the Countdown

This was a busy weekend for our family. First, was the annual Pinewood Derby. This has been going on since the dawn of time at RVA and is a very fun day. Kids (and teachers) work for weeks on their wooden cars in preparation for the big race day. The cars race by age categories and there are winners for each each category - speed, unique design, best craftsmanship, etc. I love how this particular day really meets a need for certain kids. When we used to be dorm parents, we had a student who lived for Pinewood Derby. He wasn't into sports or drama but loved to work with his hands and every year he would hours in the woodshop, perfecting his car.

This year Megan was old enough to build her own car (they start at fourth grade). She made a snail car, which was super cute, but did live up to it's name when it came to speed! While disappointed at the car's speed, she was pleasantly surprised that night at the award ceremony to win a prize for most unique design for fourth grade!

Lyndsey, Ian and I made a car and entered it into the women's division. We made an RVA bus. It was very slow and didn't win any prizes (speed or design) but we did get a great comment, after it flipped on the track - "Your car wins the most authentic Kenyan driving award!"








On Sunday, Megan and I participated in another race. RVA hosted a ONE WORLD RUN, a 5k that raises money for AIDS orphans. It is run at the same time all over the globe. It was our first race ever - for both Megan and I . I have actually been running over a year and was not worried about finishing a 5k, but was very worried about the hilly course! I am a complete wimp when it comes to hills. I must admit, I thought by having a cute 9 year old by my side, it would cut me some slack if I didn't make it up the hill.

Well, I was wrong. Megan smoked me! She took off running at the start and I didn't see her again! I think we have a new runner in the family. :) All in all, we both had fun. We both finished well and didn't die of exhaustion - but do have some sore muscles today from all the up-hill running!



And lastly - our countdown! My parents are coming for Christmas! The kids call them "Babu and Tita" and they are SO excited to see them! It has been a very. long. three. years. since we saw them last so we can't wait for Dec. 15 to arrive.



Here is the countdown chain the kids and I made this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the races girls!! I got teary when I read about your parents coming! So excited for you all! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete