Tuesday, October 31, 2017

What Do You Do When Life is Hard?

Without giving all the details, life is really hard right now. I am sure we have all been there at some point. Discouragement. Anxiety. Sadness. Longing. And some days I just want to pack my bags and head to greener pastures. The grass IS always greener on the other side, right? In my most desperate moments, I have found myself googling real estate back in Michigan and envisioning my "perfect life" over there.

But life isn't perfect in Michigan. Or Kenya. Or anywhere on this green earth. Trouble will find me wherever I go. Good thing I don't believe in the prosperity gospel or I would have given up long ago.  Truth is, we are told in scripture, "In this world you WILL have trouble..." Why am I so surprised when it happens then?

Why do I think I can run from it?  Somehow I need to find God in the midst of my trouble and allow Him to give me the peace that passes all understanding. I need to understand the theology of suffering - and realize that my suffering (as big or small as it may be) will produce in me perseverance and character. I can emerge from this time of hardship a better person if I allow suffering to do it's work.

So what am I doing? Well, here are a few things that I am trying to do (although I don't get it right all the time!):


  • Fill my mind with TRUTH. In moments of hardship, it is so easy to listen to Satan's lies. So I need to combat those lies with truth from God's Word.  I try to dwell on things that are "true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable..." (Phil. 4:8) 

  • Find someone to lift me up. Some days, I need someone else to do it for me. When I can't think of anything good, I go for a walk with a friend who can remind me of God's truth in my life. I need to surround myself with godly people who will point me to Jesus.

  • Get some fresh air. It is so easy to hole up and wallow when I am down. I feel so much better after I get out and do what I need to do. Sometimes it is just doing the next thing - my job, the laundry, .....or just taking a walk to clear my head.

  • Realize that this too shall pass. This hardship I am going through will not last forever. Hopefully someday (soon) I will be able to look back and see what God taught me through this rough patch in my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment